Sunday, April 14, 2019

In Loving Memory of Tim Alan Rantala Mosquera

I didn’t know Tim for as long as many of you here did.  But over the past year and a half, we developed an unexpected and very special friendship.  He was my buddy for bocce, karaoke, and rambling around on back county roads.  If I was bored, I could always count on Tim to join me, and we’d cook up some scallywag caper.  The fact that he was 20 years older than me and missing most of his teeth in no way stopped him from flirting with me like it was his job.  I love how much I could just be myself around Tim, and how much I felt like he appreciated me for exactly who and how I am.  That feeling was mutual.   

I hope it helps you to know that Tim’s last day was a great day spent with family and friends.  First he was with a friend in Pinole and then with Raija in Concord.  Once he got back to Pittsburg, I picked him up and we rambled through the hills and back roads around Mount Diablo and the Black Diamond Mines.  We talked and laughed and made fun of each other, and we decided that we were going to get rich by making a podcast of me and him and all our ridiculous conversations.  Then we shared a plate of fish ‘n’ chips at the Riverview Lodge in Antioch, and I dropped him off at home.  Before he went inside, we told each other how much fun we always had when we were together.  I feel so grateful to have had that time with him and that our appreciation for one another didn’t go unsaid.

In hindsight, having spent a good part of his actual last day with him, I’ve come to realize that he really did live every single day like it was his last, being present in the moment and enjoying whatever he was doing.  He could create his own entertainment, even if it was something as simple as going for a ride, having a drink with friends, knocking some golf balls into the Straights down by the Nantucket, a leisurely afternoon bocce game, or parking by the water and enjoying the scenery.  Whatever it was, he had a great time doing it.  It didn’t have to be a big bucket list item for him to get excited.  He had a knack for being in the present that was infectious. 

Kristi, he got SO tickled with your responses as you were helping him with what he could say to address the unfairness of his recent housing situation. 

Tim, I think the first time I met your dad was when you and I went to Toots – you two were the biggest men in the bar.  As soon as he saw you, he grabbed you in a long tight hug and gave you the sweetest kisses all over your face.  I’ve never seen affection like that before between a grown son and his father.

Raija, on Tim’s last night he told me that he thought that you were the most like him – introverted and a little shy but with a sassy side that’s just waiting to come out.  He said that he thought that you are going to surprise everybody with your shine.

I don’t know what the hardest part is going to be for anyone else here – I can’t speak to that.  But for me, its knowing that I don’t get to share life’s little disappointments and victories with him or tell him about something interesting that I saw that I know he’d get a kick out of.  For instance, I recently discovered that there are NO appropriate AC/DC lyrics with which to end a eulogy.  

Tim surrounded himself with friends and family.  He made adventures out of the simplest things.  He was witty and sassy and clever, and he was overflowing with the joy of life even when things weren’t going his way.  He also made some choices that were difficult to accept by the people who loved him most.  Because these were decisions that meant that the time we’d have with him would be shorter than what we wanted.  

But Tim lived how he wanted, and none of us loved him any less for his vices.  The truest measure of a man’s success is the love that he leaves behind when he’s gone.  By that measure, Tim was a superstar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment