Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Earl's Cafe is Open for Business

Because school is in session again and Sam had a busy week, we didn't do any stings for about five days. Usually we sting every other day or every third day at most.  I really need to work it into my routine, because I have been a lot worse since we stopped stinging every other day.

I  am considering using injectable bee venom, given the difficulty in finding the time to sting now that school is back in session.  It can be extracted without killing the bees (using mild electricity) and is more effective than live bees in the winter.

The American Apitherapy Society's Annual Apitherapy Conference is being held in New Orleans in November, and I bought my ticket!!  Maybe there I can get the answers I've been looking for.  It is in a swank hotel on Bourbon Street.  I've never been to New Orleans, so it should make for an adventure.

On Sunday we tried to make up for lost time by doing 16 stings, all on my spine. Check me out. I look like I just had my vestigial alien spines removed.  Looks intense I know, but it wasn't all that bad.  I texted the photo to a bunch of people before I wrote this entry.  My mom's response was "Looks bad.  Hope it's working."  Dad texted back "Must not feel too good.  Better smoke plenty weed," which is his answer to just about any problem.   And my kinky friend replied "Ple. Send. Me. More." 






I went home and groomed and then went over to Earl's honey house in Port Costa for the grand opening of his cafe!! Earl worked the Barista station while Sam, JJ, and I bottled and labeled the mid-summer crop of wildflower honey.






I look pretty deep in concentration for someone who's just screwing lids onto jars, do I not?




Earl also has Louisiana Muscadine grape jelly which he made on a trip back to his ancestral land, pear jelly, and local wild blackberry jam.












This is the flower patch that I made for Sam's pants.








The space looks amazing and I think that all 124 residents of Port Costa showed up :-)




1 comment:

  1. Oh...BEE Gees. I finally got it right at the end of the movie. This is really fascinating stuff, Katherine. I'm glad you're sharing it.

    ReplyDelete